Responding to "Harrison Bergeron"

This was such in interesting short story. The story begins in 2081, which is not to far from now, if you think about it. I thought to myself, what would my life be like if I were to live in these kinds of conditions! People with a high intelligence or any "advantage" would have to become "normal". What is that normal? I feel like everyone has a different difinition for normal but in this story, it's being exceptionally ignorant and slow. Slow meaning physically slow. The people with a physical advanage would wear weights with lead in them! How obsurd! Beautiful people would wear ugly masks. Could you imagine, beautiful people walking around with shaved eyebrows, clown noses, and ugly masks? In Harrisons situation, his eyebrows are shaved and he wears a clown nose but still looks handsom.

Some people might enjoy living like this. I know Hazel, the mother of Harrison, does because she states that the society would "fall apart".  Others, like Harrison, beg to differ. Harrison completely goes into a rampage and freaks everyone out. He starts telling the musicians to play their best music and he takes him "empress", a bellerina he picked out, and starts dancing with her and they are flying everywhere! Some questions I have are what is the relationship between Harrison and the other main characters? I could not understand the meaning of the ballerinas. What is their purpose? Why do we want equality? Equality can mean different things for different people. What is the importance? To keep people together and unite them?

Comments

  1. I loved the way you described the short story! I also had some of the same questions. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear 9-year-old...

Harry Potter !!

Free Post: This Weekend